11.18.2008

Friends vs. Flakes


I never thought transitioning from public school to homeschool would be so hard. I thought it would be the easiest thing to do. Everyday now is a struggle for me. Keeping up with the assigned homework, having access to my kitchen all day, not staying in touch with my friends has been the most difficult for me.

I always thought while being at the school how blessed I would be if I could be homeschooled. Not having to put up with the stupid people was my number one priority. Listening to the teachers drag on and on and hearing all the gossip flood throughout the halls was also on the list. I couldn't stand being in that school for another day. I wanted out. I hated hearing all the words of hatred and scorn being thrown out of people's mouths as if they were normal things to say. Being hassled and laughed at because I am a Christian wasn't something that I looked forward to.

I guess now I really wouldn't really say that I want to go back to that school. I just wish the friendships that I built while I was there would still be standing. All the 'friends' who I thought would stay in contact with me haven't called. The only friend who I have stayed in touch with dropped out of school. The other two friends I miss terribly. One has replaced me with her boyfriend, and the other...well, I really don't know what happened to the other one. I just wish that I had friends who were worth being friends with. I always thought that they would be there for me. I guess I was wrong.

Homeschooling isn't all that bad. You meet new people, learn that you've been taught wrong in public school, and you get done with school a lot faster. I guess the one thing that I would take away from all of this is the people who may seem like they are there for me are really not. I guess I have to be careful who I consider is a friend and who is a flake.

3 comments:

MandeeFoFandee said...

flakes are no fun. hopefully you really found out who your true friends are!

becca. said...

I have been calculating dates and trying to figure out if I knew you, or just knew of you when you wrote this post. Hmmm.

Han said...

I think I found your post! Friends are sooo much better than flakes - did you find out the true friends?