11.20.2008

Intricately Woven.


Have you ever looked at a picture of a baby in their mother's womb? It is miraculous how much detail and perfection is put into the process. It's so serene. While looking at it, you have to think that something like that had to be created, not evolved.

Like most teenage girls, I have trouble accepting myself for who I am. I always criticize my body, as if the more I taunt it the skinnier and prettier it will become. I look in the mirror and see something different than what everyone else sees. In the past this annoyance with my body caused me to become obsessed. I’ve recently been trying to accept my body for who it is, not what it is. I know that I should be content with myself, just as God made me. The Creator of the galaxies, the Creator of the tides of the ocean spent time on ME. He shaped me in my mother’s womb and molded my fingers and my toes. He did all of that in resemblance of him. In Psalms 139:14 it says “I will give thanks to you because I have been so amazingly and miraculously made” (GW). Psalms 139:17 says “How precious are your thoughts concerning me, O God! How vast in number they are!” (GW) He thinks of me. He thinks of ME. God, the Lord Almighty who sits in the thrones of Heaven, thinks of ME. He not only thinks of me, He thinks of me so much that it says “How vast in number they are!” Why would he think of someone so much? He must really dearly love me.

In church last night my pastor said something concerning all of this. He illustrated that when you make something for someone and they don’t appreciate it, it makes you sad. Then why would we think unhappy thoughts about our bodies that Christ made? He made us with Him in mind. When I am thinking thoughts like “I wish I was beautiful” or “I wish that I looked like her” I’m actually making fun of God’s creation of my body.

I encourage all of you girls, or guys, who are like me. If you’re not content with who you are, I encourage you to read Psalms 139. It will give you an assurance of how God made you is how you are supposed to be. He didn’t make your nose or your body a certain way so that you would feel miserable your entire life, he made it because He thought it made you look beautiful.

“My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.” -Psalms 139:15 (ESV)

No comments: