1.30.2010

seasons.




[Natalie, Me, Whitney, Danielle]

I've realized today something that I needed to realize a long time ago:

[There's a season in my life for everything.]

There are some moments and memories in my life I wish I could rewind and relive. Others, not so much. The years when my brother still lived at home, I wish I could relive. High school, I am so glad I don't have to relive. Something, though, that I've been missing like crazy lately is Bible Quiz.



I never thought I would miss it as much as I do now. I figured the cramming, late-night studying, and daily schedule I wouldn't miss, and I was right. But I miss some things I thought I wouldn't...

Memorizing.
Now, some of you may think I'm totally crazy for missing memorizing, and you're probably right. But, oddly, I miss it. I miss being able to say that I knew scripture forwards and backwards (literally). Now, I don't mean this in a cocky sense, but more of a Godly-pride sense. Knowing scripture brought me closer to God. I knew a part of His Word. I was able to quote it whenever I wanted. Now, I can just as easily memorize today. I can just as easily pick up a Bible and memorize 1 Corinthians chapter 13, and because of that, I'm making it my duty this week. I am going to memorize 1 Corinthians 13, and I'll let you know in a week how that is coming.

Friendships.
I miss the friends I made in Quiz so so much. I miss my girls; Danielle, Whitney, and Natalie. Throughout the year we grew so close, led by our amazing, sweet coach, Beverly. I can not even begin to describe to you how much I miss these girls. I don't see them now as much as I should. I don't even have the words to tell you how much I miss them, therefore, this is all I can say about them. There was also a team of guys last year that were able to balance us out. It was fun traveling with them. They would always make us girls laugh, even though that wasn't their intention. Most of the time they didn't even know we were watching them, which made it that much funnier for us girls. I miss these guys. I don't see any of them at all anymore, which is a very sad thing.

Trips.
This was probably my favorite part of quiz. It allowed me to get away from home and my life here and just travel with people I enjoyed being around. Eating out for almost every meal, staying up late in the hotel rooms (even though we weren't supposed to), quizzing long hours into the day, and being crammed into a little. white van are just a few of the things I enjoyed so much about traveling. Being in those hotel rooms at night is what brought me closer to the girls that I miss now. Being crammed in that little, white van made me realize that, although traveling is quite uncomfortable, I love being on the road. I would have never went to Chicago if it wasn't for Quiz. I would have never went to Pittsburgh if it wasn't for Quiz. I would have never went to Loveland, Colorado and skiid down the Zig-Zag slope if it wasn't for Quiz. I would have never been able to see how good of a driver John Porter is if it wasn't for Quiz. (that man knows his way around a city)


But although I miss all of this and more, I've realized today that there's a season for everything. I remember when I started my last year of Quiz. I was going to quit. I started out being around people I didn't know, and didn't mesh well with. I was seriously going to quit. I didn't want to go through another whole year of Quiz being on a team of students I didn't click with. Luckily, my mom made me stick it out for the first couple months, and I'm glad she did. I met the four most amazing girls, and even though I miss them like crazy, I know that it was a season in my life. I would like to relive it, do a few things differently, and enjoy it all over again. But I can't. I can't. I will never be able to.



God sends us through certain seasons and journeys through life. We have to be ready to face them, although we're not facing them alone. There's many other people around us that are facing the exact same journey. We just need to find those people to walk it with, or else we will be lonley on our journey. So, with this said, enjoy the seasons or journeys you are in now. Right now. Whether it's high school, college, a club you're involoved in, sports, a relationship, a friendship, or even if you're in the lowest point of your life. Enjoy it, because there WILL be an end. And when that end comes, you want to be able to say you learned something on your path. I can proudly say I learned a little something:

[Never do life alone.]


1 comment:

Christy said...

I am thankful that God takes us through different seasons in our lives. They allow us to learn, to grow, to appreciate what we have right now, and to look back and see all the good things God did for us. By using retrospect, we can know confidently that the next season will be even better, and that there will come a day very soon that we will look back on the current season with fond memories.


1 Corinthians 13, huh? I memorized that when I was 12 years old for an A/G doctrinal course I took. Of course, it was the old King James version; but there are huge chunks of that beautiful passage of Scripture I can still recall today, almost 30 years later. Having God's Word in our hearts most certainly makes us closer to Him. I am so proud of you, honey.