8.05.2010

POETRY | sweet talk

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops – at all -

And sweetest – in the Gale – is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet, never, in Extremity,
It asked a crumb – of Me.
-no. 254 in The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson


4429391952_8d0cf895f0_large


I took my Power in my Hand -
And went against the World -
‘Twas not so much as David – had -
But I – was twice as bold -

I aimed my Pebble – but Myself
Was all the one that fell -
Was it Goliath – was too large -
Or was myself – too small?
-no. 540 in The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson

Ahh...the lovely Emily Dickinson.
Do you have any favorites by this legendary poet?



2 comments:

Elise said...

I ADORE Emily Dickinson! I have "The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson." You have inspired me to pack it with the rest of my back-to-school stuff!

Grandma said...

Hi Koree.

My favorite Emily Dickinson poem has always been 'A Narrow Fellow in the Grass', also known as 'The Snake'. She was wonderful. Her work is timeless; sweet and innocent on the surface, but always hiding some mystical treasure beneath.