9.09.2010

my rabbit trail for the week.

I read many blogs everyday, and I can't help but notice those blogs that are centered towards uplifting people, making their days better, and challenging them to do many great things.
On the other hand, there are a few bloggers that use their blog as a breeding ground for negativity, and disclaim it by saying that "the readers want to know." Is this true? Are the readers really drawn to negativity like moths to a flame? If so, then that is pretty sad. When I come to read posts in the morning, I don't want to read something that's going to make me question if I'm liked by those I know. I don't want to read something that's going to make me insecure in who I am. I don't want to read something that makes me realize many people are apologizing for the things they do, just to make someone else happy.

First, when you create a title for a list of things you're suggesting for your readers, make it digestible. Don't make it something that is totally contradictory to what you're about to say. For example: Ten Reasons To Be NICE and Shut Your Mouth.

(this is my take on a certain blogger's list.)

We're already off to a great start.

1. "Jesus"
If you're excited about sharing your testimony, go ahead and share it. Your life has changed for the better, why not tell people? Don't let anybody make you feel like the change in your life is not worth being heard. If they don't like it, all they're going to do is just go to their blog and write about it anyway. Blogs don't hurt, rather it's the blogger that is the one who is hurting.

2. "Be an open book."
Don't share your testimony, but be an open book? Contradicts, doesn't it? Funny thing about the human language is that people can say something and others will believe it. More important than being an open book is not believing in everything you hear, see, or read. Quotes like "You can't have good without bad" is a prime example of this. There is plenty of good without bad, you're just not looking hard enough.

3. "Stop being so political."
One's views of politics are different than others. If your perspective is only the mud-slinging campaign commercials you see on TV, then I feel sorry for you. We live in a democracy ruled over by a government, therefore politics are needed. WAR, ABORTION, GAY RIGHTS, SCHOOL FUNDING, THE ECONOMY, HEALTH CARE, etc. Whether we are political or not, these issues find their way into our daily conversations. It's OUR country, become educated in it.

4. "If you have, then give."
Great thought, but give a hitchhiker a ride? REALLY? Why don't you start by picking up a hitchhiker, and opening up yourself to being potentially raped and/or murdered. Or you can just live with the psychological damage of letting the truckers pick up the hitchhikers.

5. "If you DON'T have, then stop whining."
Where's the line between being a giver, and not wanting people to mooch off of you? Are you lacking on being thanked? Maybe that's your true motive. Maybe you need some new friends that are thankful for your giving heart, instead of taking advantage of it.

6. "F-A-T"
Not every body shape is the same. God made us all different for a reason. Some of us will never fit into a size 6 jeans, or be able to afford Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers. Only a few will make it to the Biggest Loser. We will always have insecurities. Don't talk like you know what it's like to be struggeling with a weight issue or an eating disorder. You can't fix your insecurities by starting with the outside; it starts on the inside first.

7. "Be magical."
The basic meaning behind this is do nice things for people. By writing a long list of complaints about people, and because of this some are insecure in who they are, YOU'RE NOT DOING NICE THINGS FOR PEOPLE.

8. "Grow a pair of balls."
Really? Basically you're saying if you have something to say, then say it. As long as it's not your testimony, anything political, any references towards your struggles with weight, or the things you don't have. Again with the contradictions. You sound more mixed up than you claim everyone else is.

9. "Be better than you are."
Some people are good just like they are. If you find yourself surrounded by people who suck, then maybe you need some new friends. If this is you, then maybe your friends need a new you!

10. "Life ends when you die."
Living with a "free, undying spirit" is contradictory towards "life ends when you die." You mention to not let others tell you how to live your life, yet your guilty of doing that exact thing.

Just because you're not using foul language doesn't mean your language isn't foul.

Keep in mind you have a platform, and you have people who are reading your words. You words can and will be used against you in some way. Would you rather be remembered as a critic, or someone who motivates with compliments instead of insults?

Remember kids, biscuits can catch more bees with honey than with vinegar.

8 comments:

amylou said...

I do see your points on this but I think I just read it from a completely different perspective. I read it in a way that I COULD and CAN always do better about each of these things.
I can share my testimony but I don't want to do it just to do it. I try to listen to Jesus on when he thinks is the best time.
Also, just because you help someone doesn't mean you are doing it for glory. There are ways to make yourself anonymous.
And I do try to be positive when I don't have everything. There is always someone worse off than you. Always.
Guess everyone could read this more than one way.

Yelena said...

uh, awesome post.
almost like blogger comandments.
a must read :)

MandeeFoFandee said...

I love this post! well, maybe except the testimony stuff, because I rarely come across those type of blogs. I do, however, hate to stumble upon blogs that are just rants and negative thoughts and putting other people and ideas down. that kinda stuff really chaps my ass.

Amyschmamey said...

Personally. I just like reading blogs where people are real and blogs that I can relate to the person behind it. I like all types of blogs. If all blogs were happy uplifting and fluffy clouds and butterflies, I would be bored to tears. I like reading someone elses thoughts/opinions. Negative or positive. Individualism is a great thing. I like your blog. Like Biscuits blog. Like a lot of blogs. And they all aren't the same... ya know :) I liked reading your thoughts on this. :)

miss indie said...

these are really good. I have the same views about each of these topics and think you stated your opinion perfectly. :]
XO. mandy

BeautifulBridget said...

Love your cute little blog! This is a well written post and I totally relate to a few of the points made (and disagree on one).

1. I love sharing my testimony with others as I believe that's what Jesus wants me to do but I never do it in a way to make anyone feel uncomfortable about it.

2. I don't believe everything I hear, see or read because too many things are said that are untruthful or merely opinion.

3. I H.A.T.E. politics personally so I choose not to discuss them in a public forum EVER.

4 & 5. I believe in "paying it forward" and do so as much as I can. Being "thanked" for what I am able to do for another person has no relevance, it's the feeling of joy I feel in my heart that is thanks enough. I fully believe that if you are blessed, be a blessing to others.

6. I totally agree with this...everyone is different and some will never know what it feels like to fit into small sizes. That doesn't mean those people aren't TRYING to get there...I speak from experience because I have struggled my entire life with being overweight, have tried every diet, have lost over a 100 pounds and gained it back...all while dealing with the insecurities that accompany it.

7. Be magical...there are many ways to DO it, just DO it.

8. I'm a woman and enjoy being one. I say what I mean and mean what I say....and all of this WITHOUT a pair of balls. Go figure :)

9. I agree with you on this one, some people are fine just the way they are, if someone has a problem with the way you are then they are the problem, not you.

10. Life is what you make of it, live it how YOU want to live it and not how others expect you to live it....life only ends when YOU let it end.

Thanks for letting me ramble, this is a really great post with alot of valid points!

xoxoxoxo,
Kim

cait said...

Very well written :)
I totally agree with every point you made.
xo cait

Christy said...

As your mother, I am happy to see that you are reading other peoples' blogs with discernment. It is so easy for young people to get caught up in "thinking trends" and abandon their individual thought processes. Your whole life, you will be faced with opportunities to choose your platform in various areas, and it is comforting to know that you have the ability to form your own opinions and viewpoints, and not necessarily be swayed by "popular opinion".