11.24.2010

nerves + excitement

There are a lot of things that are going to change in my life when I get to college. Some of them I am excited about, and other things I am a little nervous about...

ROOMMATE. I’ve never had a roommate before, nor have I ever had to share a room. I have one older brother. I have always wondered what it would be like to have a sister, and I feel like this is my chance to find out! Sharing clothes, sharing a tiny (and I mean tiny) dorm room, trying to match up our schedules so that we don't bother each other at night or in the morning. What if my roommate is a psycho? I mean come on…doesn’t every one want to room with someone who isn’t crazy? I hope she is just like me, yet not. If that makes sense. Ha.

JOB. Well this is a given. Duh. At College of the Ozarks they have a work program. You work 15 hours a week and it pays for your tuition. I won’t find out what my job assignment is until I get there in January. I’m excited to find out what it is! Most freshmen either work in the Keeter Center (a public restaurant), laundry, or landscape. I hope I don’t get landscaping…it’s too cold to be working outside!

SCHOOL. I haven’t done homework since I graduated high school, which was April 2009. It feels like it’s been a lot longer than that. I’m just worried that I’m not going to be able to keep up with the homework. I’m not bragging, but I’m pretty smart. I mean, I’m not dumb. I would get As and Bs in high school. But college homework and studying is a lot more than high school…

MAKING NEW FRIENDS/CHARACTER CAMP. Honestly, I’m pretty excited about this one. Who wouldn’t be? I am a little nervous about the process…The first week is called Character Camp, and it’s kind of like an orientation week. There’s a set schedule. You’re put in a family with a “mom” and a “pop” who are upperclassmen, and you get “brothers” and “sisters” who are fellow freshman. I already know who my Mom and Pop are, which is very exciting. I will find out more about CC next week! YAY! I’m just nervous about some of the activities. I’m not an athletic or fit person so a few of the so-called “fun” activities are worrying me a little bit.

CLOTHES. Yes, I am worried about this one. I know I only live 20 minutes down the road from my college, but I’m worried that I’m not going to have enough room for all of my clothes. No, I’m sure I won’t. I guess it’s a good thing I can come home on the weekends and do laundry and swap out some outfits.

MONEY. This is a given. I’m going to barely make it, people! As of a few weeks ago it was looking like I was going to have to take out a loan to help pay for my room and board and my fees/text books. Now it’s not looking that way. YAY. God is providing money through random opportunities, which is amazing. As it’s looking now, I need to save every penny possible. No more going shopping or going on lunch dates with friends…it WILL pay off, though. Oh, yes. I also have to have money for my phone bill every month. Luckily I have Virgin Mobile’s $25 a month prepaid plan. It’s heavenly. Unlimited texting, unlimited data, and 300 minutes (which is all I need!) for only $25 a month. That really cuts down my bill, and will save me a TON of money.

I'm so sure I will look back at this post when I'm in college and LAUGH.

Ok, so since I sat here and complained about all of this stuff, and you sat through it, I am giving YOU a chance to complain about anything you want to me. The fact that Jennifer won Dancing With The Stars last night? The fact that you don’t have TiVo like me, and missed Glee last night? The fact that Thanksgiving is this week and you’re worried about consuming those 3,000 calories? What’s your complaint for the day? Go ahead.
VENT!

4 comments:

Krystal said...

You are gonna LOVE IT!

Alycia (The Curious Pug) said...

good luck at college! you'll have a blast. and if you can survive a roomate from hell, you can survive anything lol. earplugs and an eye mask will be your new bedtime necessities :)

Han said...

I didn't mind that Jennifer won - but I kinda wanted to see Kyle win to prove you don't have to be super skinny to be a good dancer but the fact that he made it to the final two made my day lol.

I don't have Tivo but I have a way to see Glee :D

I'm in the UK so we don't celebrate Thanksgiving but I have today off and went for lunch with my friend - I had spaghetti bolognese which according to the menu came in at like 500 calories which was awesome lol.

I found the new phone that I might be getting to replace my iPhone next week. I think I know which one I am going to go for but I'm still like um um um is that what i want to do for sure.

My complaint for the day is that I have a headache, my housemate is vacuuming right outside the living room door, I really want to go for a sleep but i have band in an hour so can't really. But i got to have lunch with my friend who I haven't seen in like 6 years and so that balances out all the rubbish ness!

Happy Thanksgiving lovely one and don't stress College is going to be awesome!

Yelena said...

Good luck dear! :) I'm sure you'll do amazing, come next year, all of these worries will seem to be so petty :)
God is quite amazing in providing for us. Sometimes, it just blows my mind. really :)